Sunday, March 29, 2009

Backup, backup, backup!!!!!!



So, virtual chaos broke out at my house on Sunday, March 15th. I had my computer defragging overnight.. and when I got up, it was froze. Not a big deal - it is an old computer, but I have always taken good care of it. So when I restarted it and saw the Evil BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH


I was upset. Utterly terrified would have described it more accurately.


So, I did finally get the computer back up, and everything was O.K. Not great... but decent. (I was sweating all of my valuable software, downloads, saved documents, email addresses, etc. My pics are all backed up online at SmugMug ****Awesome site!!**** so that was ok... phew!)


So, I decide- ok, definately time for a new computer!! I have been coveting a laptop for about 2 years, and we never would break down and get one because we didn't really NEED it. Well, now we did!


I am very particuliar (sp?) in what I wanted, and of course I didn't want to spend a fortune on it, so I go on the hunt of a great affordable laptop.


Jump to Wed. 3/18. The computer won't turn on again. Sheesh. Now I don't have time to bargain hunt. The computer is my lifeline, and supports my aspiring buisness knowledge (photography). So I NEEEEEED it! I decide I am going to get an external hard drive and save as much of the info as I can before the pc completely keels over.


Get home, finally get the pc up, and start backing up like a mad woman! The next day, my pc....she is completely dead, & finally out of her misery.... But am I? Oh goodness NO!
Anyone that has backed up thier computer knows that it takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R the first time you back up, right? So I left it running over night, to find it dead in the morning. I had hoped that most of my info had saved.
So on Friday, I went out and got my lovely new Laptop! 4gb of Ram & a 320GB hard drive.. it is Niiiice! I hooked up my external drive to find that only a handful of useful stuff downloaded. :(
So now, a little over a week later, I am finally getting my workflow back! I can edit pictures, which was the most important thing! Unfortunately, my paint shop pro program was lost (as was the original disc when we moved... sigh...) so the graphics are slow going right now, since I am learning to do them in CS now. They will be just as good, if not better, but it is a slow going learning process!
With all that said.. BACKUP your information!!!!! Do it now, update it often.. it is such a mess when you haven't!!!
~M~







No comments: